The YAA is a non-profit charitable organization that promotes yoga in Alberta. The YAA offers its own Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program with Initial Certification at a new 200-Hour Level*, and also offers Advanced Training Levels with recognition at the 500-Hour, 750-Hour and 1,000-Hour Levels, as well as an Equivalency Certification Program that recognizes teachers who have already completed equivalent training elsewhere.
*The new 200-Hour format separates out the previous requirement of 100 hours of weekly classes with mentors. The format, content and quality of programming will remain intact and the same high standards will still apply.
The YAA Teacher Training Program (TTP) has been recognized across Canada for its high standards of yoga instruction. The YAA-TTP is a mentorship-based program in Hatha yoga where students choose a YAA Senior Teacher with whom to apprentice. Students are able to choose a lineage that suits their needs and preferences, while following a standard curriculum of training. Assistance will be provided in finding a YAA Senior Teacher with whom to mentor.
Program Schedule & Fees
The YAA TTP consists of 200 Hours of training taken over a minimum of two years, allowing students to work at their own pace and integrate their learning over time. 16 Core classes are held once a month in Edmonton, usually on Saturdays. Teaching Skills Workshops are held twice per year. See graphic for upcoming schedule. Senior Teachers may run their own equivalent classes in other locations. The student also chooses other workshops that fulfill the remaining hours of the program, based on their own preferences and availability, under the guidance of their Senior Teacher.
The YAA TTP Application fee is $200. As costs are paid directly to each class or workshop organizer, they are spread out over two years (or longer) that it takes to complete the program. All workshops are pay-as-you-go so there is no up-front tuition. All 16 YAA Saturday core curriculum classes + 3 YAA Teaching Skills workshops currently total $1,955, plus an additional 75 hours — from sources chosen by the student — are also required. YAA Membership must also remain current. Tax receipts are issued for all workshops taken while registered in the teacher training program.
200-Hour Program Requirements
The program requirements are summarized as follows:
- 125 Hours of YAA Teacher Training consisting of the following (or equivalent):
- 16 x 5 Hour YAA TTP Monthly Core Curriculum Classes as outlined on the Curriculum List.
- 3 x 15 Hour YAA Teaching Skills Workshops.
- 50 Hours of other Hatha Yoga Workshops with Mentor or any other YAA Senior Teachers (or equivalent). Training in modifications for special concerns, meditation, yoga philosophy and breath awareness is highly recommended.
- 15 Hours of Anatomy Training.
- 10 Hours of Practicum with Mentor which consists of:
- Regular Meetings/Consultations to review progress and assignments, and includes
- A minimum of 2 Hours of Mentor Supervised Teaching.
- Students are also expected to attend regular weekly hatha yoga classes with their Mentor and/or Intermediate Teacher throughout their time in the program.
- 8 Written Assignments as outlined on the Assignments List.
- CPR Certification (any level).
- 10 Additional Hours of Karma Yoga (actions performed with yogic awareness and in selfless service to others on a volunteer basis) for a non-profit or charitable organization. At least 5 of these hours must be in service to the YAA.
- To qualify for enrolment in the YAA TTP, applicants must be residents of Alberta, 18 years of age or older.
- Pay for your Full YAA Membership and Application Fee online, or call the YAA office. Note that YAA Membership is different from YAA Teacher Certification and must be maintained throughout training and all certification levels.
- Download the TTP Application Form and submit with a character reference along with details of previous attendance in hatha yoga classes (recent regular attendance is highly recommended). Details are outlined on the form.
- Documents can be mailed or scanned/pictures directly to email@example.com. Full program details and syllabus will be sent upon admission into the program.
- Approval of the YAA TTP Coordinator is required for admission. A phone interview may be conducted.
Advanced Training Opportunities
The YAA supports ongoing training for its certified teachers and encourages teachers to continue to upgrade their yoga training beyond completion of the initial 200-Hour Level Certification.
Recertification: All YAA Certified Hatha Yoga Teachers meet professional upgrading standards and re-certify every three years, maintaining active participation in both classes/workshops and teaching hours. This allows for credibility and recognition within professional circles, referrals from health authorities such as Alberta Health Services, access to community job postings, and discount insurance rates. Permanent Certification is available after 20 years of YAA Certification.
Advanced Training Levels: With further training and experience after initial 200-Hour Certification, YAA Teachers may also qualify for the following certification levels:
500 Hour Level
750 Hour Level – Intermediate Teacher Status
1,000 Hour Level – Senior Teacher Status
Insurance: YAA Certified Teachers may obtain discount insurance rates under the umbrella of the YAA’s insurance policy.
For Further Information: Contact the TTP & Certification Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
The YAA-TTP is a registered school with the Yoga Alliance
See a recent article by the Coordinator on the Yoga Alliance Standards Review Project