The YAA is a non-profit charitable organization that promotes yoga in Alberta. The YAA offers its own Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program with Initial Certification at the 300-Hour Level, and also offers Advanced Training Levels with recognition at the 500-Hour, 750-Hour and 1,000-Hour Levels, as well as an Equivalency Certification Program that recognizes teachers who have already completed equivalent training elsewhere.
The YAA Teacher Training Program (TTP) has been recognized across Canada for its high standards of yoga instruction. The YAA-TTP is a mentorship-based program in Hatha yoga where students choose a YAA Senior Teacher with whom to apprentice. Students are able to choose a lineage that suits their needs and preferences, while following a standard curriculum of training. Assistance will be provided in finding a YAA Senior Teacher with whom to mentor.
Program Schedule & Fees
The YAA TTP consists of 300 Hours of training taken over a minimum of two years, allowing students to work at their own pace and integrate their learning over time. Core classes are held once a month in Edmonton, usually on Saturdays. Teaching Skills Workshops are held twice per year. See graphic for upcoming schedule. Senior Teachers may run their own equivalent classes in other locations. The student also chooses classes and workshops that fulfill the remaining hours of the program, based on their own preferences and availability, under the guidance of their Senior Teacher.
The YAA TTP Application fee is $200. As class costs are paid directly to each class or workshop organizer, they are spread out over two years (or longer) that it takes to complete the program. Tax receipts are issued for all classes, workshops, etc. taken from the date of registration into the program. YAA Membership must remain current.
300-Hour Program Requirements
The program requirements are summarized as follows:
- 100 Hours of Weekly Hatha Yoga Classes with Mentor and/or Intermediate Teacher(s).
- 125 Hours of YAA Teacher Training consisting of the following (or equivalent):
- 16 x 5 Hour YAA TTP Monthly Core Curriculum Classes as outlined on the Curriculum List.
- 3 x 15 Hour YAA Teaching Skills Workshops.
- 50 Hours of other Hatha Yoga Workshops with Mentor or any other YAA Senior Teachers (or equivalent). Training in modifications for special concerns, meditation, yoga philosophy and breath awareness is highly recommended.
- 15 Hours of Anatomy (may be taken in person or online, with interactive component).
- 10 Hours of Practicum with Mentor which consists of:
- Regular Meetings/Consultations to review progress and assignments, and includes
- A minimum of 2 Hours of Mentor Supervised Teaching.
- 8 Written Assignments as outlined on the Assignments List.
- CPR Certification (any level).
- 10 Additional Hours of Karma Yoga (actions performed with yogic awareness and in selfless service to others on a volunteer basis) for a non-profit or charitable organization. At least 5 of these hours must be in service to the YAA.
- To qualify for enrolment in the YAA TTP, applicants must be residents of Alberta, 18 years of age or older, must have already taken at least 2 years of recent yoga classes, OR have an endorsement from a YAA Senior Teacher willing to apprentice the student in the program.
- Ensure your YAA Membership is up to date. Membership is different from Teacher Certification. (Full YAA membership must remain current throughout the TTP and all certification levels. Please consider paying 2-3 years in advance.)
- Pay online for TTP Application Fee, submit a cheque with your application, or call the YAA Office with a credit card number.
- Download the TTP Application Form below, fill it out and submit with details as outlined. Note: Fax # has been discontinued. Documents can be mailed or scanned directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TTP Application Form – Send to Coordinator at email@example.com. Full program details and syllabus will be sent upon admission into the program.
Advanced Training Opportunities
The YAA supports ongoing training for its certified teachers and encourages teachers to continue to upgrade their yoga training beyond completion of the initial 300-Hour Level Certification.
Recertification: All YAA Certified Hatha Yoga Teachers meet professional upgrading standards and recertify every three years, maintaining active participation in both classes/workshops and teaching hours. This allows for credibility and recognition within professional circles, referrals from health authorities such as Alberta Health Services, and access to community job postings. Permanent Certification is available after 20 years of YAA Certification.
Advanced Training Levels: With further training and experience after initial 300-Hour Certification, YAA Teachers may also qualify for the following certification levels:
500 Hour Level
750 Hour Level – Intermediate Teacher Status
1,000 Hour Level – Senior Teacher Status
Insurance: YAA Certified Teachers may obtain discount insurance rates under the umbrella of the YAA’s insurance policy.
For Further Information: Contact the TTP & Certification Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
The YAA-TTP is a registered school with the Yoga Alliance
See a recent article by the Coordinator on the Yoga Alliance Standards Review Project